The Institutional Forum is one of the three Statutory bodies at South African Universities together with the Council and Senate.
What are the functions of the IF? Here is an extract from the UKZN Statute:
The institutional forum advises the council on issues affecting the University, including:
- the implementation of the Act and the national policy on higher education;
- race, gender and equity policies;
- selection of candidates for senior management positions;
- of conduct, mediation and dispute resolution procedures;
- of an institutional culture which promotes tolerance and respect for fundamental human rights and creates an appropriate environment for teaching, research and learning; and
- language policy of the University.
The institutional forum may perform such other functions as determined by the council.
Who make up the IF? What meeting procedures are followed? These are found here: UKZN Statute
The IF Charter may be found here: IF Charter
Who are your representatives on the IF? Please see Current Membership.
Please find Minutes of meetings of the IF.
How can I submit items for inclusion on the IF agenda? Kindly see the Submission template – note that items must conform strictly to the mandate of the IF in order to be approved by the Chair. If you wish to contribute an item, please consult your representative on the IF.
Other Documents of the IF:
IF presentation to the Oversight visit by the Parliament Portfolio Committee on Higher Education & Training (Feb 2017)
IF Submission on the Retirement Age Review
Report on the Meeting of Institutional Forums
IF Rep on Council
HIGHER EDUCATION ACT OF 1997 PREAMBLE
HIGHER EDUCATION ACT 1997
Enhancement of Academic Democracy at UKZN
Closure of Disciplines 31 Aug 2015
Professor Gert Kruger