|Applications and Information|
Information & Communication Technology
The Information Technology and Communications Division (ITCD) maintains a highly sophisticated data network and places a strong emphasis on facilities for students. All students have access to the network through PC labs, many of which are open 24 hours a day. All labs have laser printing facilities and consultants are on duty to assist students. Available software includes the standard office suites from scanning, colour printing and linuxlab, Microsoft, as well as more specialised academic software packages such as Mathematica and SPSS. All students receive an e-mail address and have access to the Internet. Expert consultancy in advanced statistical and mathematical software packages is also available to postgraduates.
For further information, contact:
Howard College, Edgewood and Medical School Tel: +27 (0)31 260 2481
Pietermaritburg Tel: +27 (0)33 260 5635
Westville Tel: +27 (0)31 260 8131
Key Campus Driving Academy, based at Howard College Campus, offers driving lessons to staff and registered students from all UKZN campuses.
For more information and to book lessons please contact:
Howard College Tel: +27 (0)31 260 2882
The five campuses have excellent library collections. Qualified subject librarians provide general reference and instructional services to students, staff and the wider community. The libraries are fully computerised and operate in a networked environment that provides access to the computerised catalogues and a range of local, national and international databases.
The E S Edminson Library on the Edgewood campus serves Education.
The E G Malherbe Library (main library) caters for a wide range of disciplines, including the Humanities, Social Sciences and Engineering. In addition, the following branch libraries serve specialised academic needs:
- The GMJ Sweeney Law Library.
- The Eleanor Bonnar Music Library
- The Barrie Biermann Architecture Library.
Nelson R Mandela School of Medicine
The Medical Library caters for Health Sciences, as does the Victor Daitz HIV/AIDS Information Gateway at the Doris Duke Medical Research Institute, a virtual library which specialises in HIV/AIDS research and information.
The Cecil Renaud Library (main library) serves the Humanities, Social Sciences, Commerce and Management and the Sciences. The Law Library and the Life Sciences Library serve Law and the Biological Sciences respectively. The Life Sciences Library is one of the most important research collections for natural sciences in South Africa. There are also outlying collections of periodicals in the Schools of Physics and Chemistry.
The Alan Paton Centre and Struggle Archives collects, preserves and conserves documents, manuscripts, papers, books, journals, tapes, videos, posters, artefacts and information on aspects of resistance to apartheid with a focus on the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands. Included is a major collection of Alan Paton’s literary works and related documents and manuscripts, as well as papers pertaining to the Liberal Party and other political organisations.
The University Archives houses a collection of archival material relating to the University’s history and the achievements of its staff and students. CATNIP is a network of over 26 libraries in the Pietermaritzburg region. The holdings of these libraries are included in the UKZN Library Catalogue (Pietermaritzburg). CATNIP members include the Natal Society Library, Natal Museum, Cedara Agricultural Institute, and members of the Theological Cluster.
The Westville Campus Library consists of the Main Library which is situated in B Block near the centre of campus and the Joe Ryan Dentistry Library which is located at the Dental Hospital. The library holds a large volume of books, journals and audiovisual materials in its collections and in addition provides access to electronic resources including bibliographic and full-text databases, as well as links to academic and other resources on the Internet.
In close collaboration with Colleges, the branches of the University Library provide information services and access to an impressive collection of academic resources to support the learning, teaching, research and development endeavours of the University community. More information can be found at: www.library.ukzn.ac.za
Risk Management Services
Risk Management Services (RMS) offer a comprehensive range of security services:
- Trained security guards are posted around all campuses.
- Student identity cards are issued/ re-validated at registration and must be carried on your person at all times whilst on campus.
- Residences have 24-hour electronic access control.
- Campus perimeter entrances have pedestrian/visitor access control.
- Parking discs issued annually at registration helps to control traffic, prevent parking problems and combat vehicle theft. Controlled parking areas are patrolled by guard dogs.
- Accidents on campus are immediately dealt with.
- If you are ever a victim of a sensitive crime, RMS will assist you in obtaining medical, counselling and other available support services.
- RSM views all gender violence (see number*) incidents such as rape, indecent assault, assault and crimen injuria/verbal abuse as serious and will take immediate action:
- – complainant to make statement to RSM as soon as possible
- – matter will be referred to RSM Investigation section
- – statement will be required from the offender
- – RSM Investigation section will file report
- – Report submitted to Proctor (if students) or Employer Relations (if staff related)
- – Report is perused and hearing set where applicable.
- Contact Tel: +27 (0)31 260 3333*
- Occupational, Health and Safety Committees have been established for all Colleges and support s ections to deal with potentially hazardous situations.
- Fire protection and detection equipment is installed on all campuses, evacuation procedures are in place and drills are held at regular intervals.
- 24-hour guard escort services are available for students who require an escort on campus.
- Access to University buildings is controlled after hours.
- Various campus areas are covered by CCTV cameras.
- Students/staff/visitors are not permitted to bring firearms onto campus.
- Student lockers are provided.
A parking fee is charged for the use of the secure student parking areas on campus. However, owing to high demand and limited parking space, not all requests for discs may be granted.
If in trouble call these 24-hour numbers:
Edgewood Tel: +27 (0)31 260 3493
Howard College Tel: +27 (0)31 260 3777/2540
Medical School Tel: +27 (0)31 260 4024
Pietermaritzburg Tel: +27 (0)33 260 5211
Westville Tel: +27 (0)31 260 7265
24-hour campus crime info line:
Howard College and Medical School
Tel: +27 (0)31 260 3333*
24- hour campus emergency only:
Howard College and Medical School
Tel: +27 (0)31 260 3777
Text composed with the best online HTML editor. Please subscribe for a HTML G membership to remove this message.